Monday, March 14, 2011

Dussera 2010 - Pt. Ravishankar Concert

Sunday, October 17, 2010 at 11:41pm
This is just a humble attempt ... an attempt to describe the experience I had tonight. And I consider it a real blessing that I got to attend Pt. Ravi Shankar's concert a second time in my life. 

Some moments just remain with you forever. They freeze in your heart. I would remember this evening as is. You know it is such a moment that Wordsworth described in his poem "To Daffodils" --
"For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

Pandit jee is now 90 yrs old. He started playing Sitar since the age of 10. His personality reflects humility and simplicity; And that is incredible considering his immense contribution to the world music. He addressed the audience before his performance and shared a hearty news about his daughter. When he was mentioning that news, he was just a proud father and not this master musician; when he played with his daughter and the tabla guru - Tonmoy Bose, he smiled like a contented teacher; And when audience gave him a standing ovation, he was a down-to-earth, modest artist.

The concert began with a carnatic music performance with a brilliant jugalbandi between tabla and flute. Then we heard the evening raag - Raag bageshawari accompanied by jhaptaal on tabla. It stirred so many emotions. It was music in its purest form. All through the day I had this terrible headache and it was unbelievable how without any medicine or coffee, my headache went off just by indulging in some blissful music.
The second part of the performance was the brilliant raag manj khamaj which blends several taals in it. If you hear this raag you would feel you have heard parts of it in so many songs and background scores in movies. You could just close your eyes and let it all go.

Nothing could have been a better celebration of Dussera. I loved being there. I loved each moment of it. It was really truly a divine experience.

I wish it was longer.And to sum it all up, I just would quote Shakespeare's Twelfth Night act 1 scene 1 -
"If music be the food of love... Play on!"

No comments:

Post a Comment